Monday, August 29, 2011

Sunset

You have probably already guessed what inspired this, judging by the title above. I've always loved sunset and dusk, and became even more aware of why this time of day is so special when I was helping at a camp a few weeks ago, and could think of no better way to spend the early evening than quietly watching the sunset among the beautiful setting. So, when I got home, I wrote about it...and this was the result.


Could time remain frozen here? Perhaps the Earth may cease rotating for a brief hour, prolonging this wide painting before my eyes, holding still the canvas which stretches across the horizon, extending its reach behind the distant hills. Even as the colors’ vibrancy slowly fades, peace slowly grows like the shadows cast by enormous pines as they creep ever further ‘cross the open grass. Every living thing appears at rest, though not absent, as they feel their contentedness with the fulfillment of the day. This time is a blessed in-between, filling the gaps between consciousness and unknowing, blazing light and silent darkness, with small signs of life still about, yet none that show anything apart from quiet joy. All things under the sky turn a softer shade of their true color, and are tinted by the reflections of whichever chosen watercolors were used this time in the sky overhead, and gazing about myself, I regret my inability to pause the sun’s downward motion, which has left as quickly as it had risen in the early morning, though am also grateful that I have once again been reminded of why out of all the day, sunset is my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment